The World Hypertension League (WHL) is a non-profit, charitable organization dedicated to the prevention and control of hypertension at the population level. The purposes of the WHL include but are not limited to:
- Develop international and national partnerships.
- Promote the creation and enhancement of healthy environments through healthy public policy.
- Promote sharing, information exchanges and knowledge translation on best practices for community programs, optimal health systems, and clinical practices.
- Utilize evidence-based resources (i.e. Global Burden of Disease Study) to advocate for and promote health and hypertension control to include optimized dietary salt (Click Here to view the WHL ISH Salt Policy Statement).
- Promote high quality monitoring of population blood pressure levels, hypertension prevalence, diagnosis, treatment and control.
- Advocate for research, policies, and standards on prevention and control of hypertension.
- Integrate hypertension efforts into broader efforts for the prevention and control of non-communicable diseases.
- Provide resources and core curricula that may be implemented or adopted by populations particularly in vulnerable populations.
Through its various programs, the WHL intends to assist a wide variety of individuals, health care providers, and communities throughout the world. The quality of the services provided is defined by adherence to our mission in terms of the following core values:
- Forward Thinking: We feel that the solutions to hypertension control and prevention lie in looking forward and don’t want to be constrained by what has already been done.
- Transparency (Integrity): We exhibit transparency and integrity in our operations so that our members and others know that they can trust us and that we are accountable for our actions.
- Knowledge Translation and Sharing: We facilitate the sharing of knowledge in areas related to hypertension so that our members and others can easier access and use this information in their work. We also are continually creating resources to add to the existing pool and give our members and others more information to further their individual missions.
- Philanthropy: Our work is driven by our desire to help our members and the communities we serve
- Passion: Our passion is a sign of our organization’s compelling enthusiasm for our work on preventing and controlling hypertension at the population level
- Open Communication: We encourage open communication within our organization, with members and with partner organizations it helps stimulate the free-flow of ideas, which we feel is important in working with issues such as Non-communicable Diseases.
Objectives & Goal:
The objectives of the WHL are to promote the detection, control and prevention of hypertension at the population. The driving force of the WHL's action is in liaison with the member organizations, promoting the exchange of information among them, and offering internationally applicable methods and programs for hypertension control. Bringing together and stimulating organizations committed to the control of hypertension is the goal and raison d'etre of the WHL.
The goal of the WHL is to optimize prevention and control of hypertension through collaborative work with member organizations, like-minded governmental and non-governmental partner organizations, evidence based interventions, and Best Practices. We are committed to helping member organizations achieve 25-80% hypertension control depending on their resources and existing conditions.
Advancement of hypertension prevention and control through joint efforts of national and regional leagues and societies and alliances with the World Health Organization, International Society of Hypertension, and other aligned organizations.